Matthew Thibaut practices in the firm’s Securities Litigation and Employment Law practice groups. His securities practice experience includes common law and statutory claims in connection with investments in equities, bonds, mutual funds, hedge funds, managed money, alternative investments, and structured products.
In the area of employment law, Mr. Thibaut has litigated matters involving a wide range of workplace issues, including:
- Whistleblower claims
- Title VII
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employment agreement negotiation and litigation
In addition to litigation, Mr. Thibaut drafts employee manuals and speaks to various business, legal, and industry organizations about current trends, best practices, training, and HR compliance related issues.
He is a native Floridian.
- Securities Litigation
- Employment Law
- Part of legal team that included the defense of the largest claim brought by an individual investor in FINRA history of approximately $200 million against a major broker-dealer client.
- Successfully represented a major broker-dealer client and one of its top producers (out of 12,000 at the time) in defense of an employment action brought by a former employee. At the time it was the largest employment matter that the client had faced.
- Served as firm’s point person to coordinate with four other national law firms to defend a major broker-dealer client against claims brought by hundreds of individual investors across the country following the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
Awards and Recognition
- 2015 Employment Law Pro Bono Award, bestowed by the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
- 2015 Florida’s Legal Elite, Labor & Employment, published by Florida Trend
- Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent™ 4.9 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Business Law Section
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Leadership Academy for Diversity & Inclusion, Academy Fellow
- Co-Chair of the Financial Products Committee of the Elder Law Section
- Palm Beach County Bar Association, Member
- Securities Law Committee, Past and Current Chair
- Employment Law Committee
- Business Law Committee
- Human Resource Association of Palm Beach County, Member
- Society for Human Resource Management, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS), Member
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, Member
- Florida Securities Dealers Association, Education Committee Member
- The Forum Club of The Palm Beaches, Member
- The Economic Forum Club of the Palm Beach, Member
- Estate Planning Councils of Palm Beach, Martin and Indian River Counties, Member
- Appointed as Co-Chair of the Supplement Committee of the Palm Beach County Estate Planning Council
- “Securities Arbitration & Mediation: A 2016 Update LIVE Webcast,” Wednesday, May 18, 2016, Noon to 2:00 PM EST, Sponsored by
The Knowledge Group. Click on the link for details.
- “Securities Law and Exploitation of the Elderly,” presentation at the 18th Annual Elder Law Seminar, sponsored by the Palm Beach County Bar Elder Law Section, December 10, 2015.
- “Performance Management: Retaining Talent for Business Success,” Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Legal Clinic, Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus, December 9, 2015.
- “Independent Contractor vs. Employee Issues,” Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 7:45- 9:00 AM, a Gold Coast Builders Association Breakfast being held at Abacoa Golf Club. Additional dates and locations are also available through December and January. Contact Mr. Thibaut for details.
- “Investment Litigation Issues,” a CLE seminar being held in-house at a Palm Beach County CPA firm, December 4, 2015.
- Florida, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Eleventh Circuit, 2008
- J.D., Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, 2001
- B.A., University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1995