Rick Chaves is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Construction Law. He represents contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, owners, developers, associations, bond sureties, and other commercial entities.
Mr. Chaves has litigated and arbitrated numerous complex construction cases involving construction defects, lien law and bond disputes, and commercial general liability (CGL) insurance coverage. He also has extensive experience in representing parties in transactional construction law, such as the drafting, review, and negotiation of construction contracts and other types of construction industry documents such as construction liens and bond claims, claims for equitable adjustments, and collection claims.
Mr. Chaves has authored articles and lectured extensively before numerous organizations, including the Associated General Contractors of America, The Florida Bar, National Business Institute, Lorman Education Services, and the Palm Beach County Bar Association. His lecture topics have included delay damages, construction contracts, construction lien and bond law, and drafting and interpretation of A.I.A. and industry contract documents.
During college, Mr. Chaves served six years with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves in both West Palm Beach and Tampa.
- Construction Litigation and Construction Law
- Successfully represented residential roof contractor in lien claims and defenses raised by owner with a favorable jury verdict (2013).
- Successfully represented commercial general contractor in lien claims and owner defenses through non-jury trial and affirmed on appeal handled by Mr. Chaves (2012).
- Represented owner in claims against unlicensed contractor resulting in favorable judgment affirmed on appeal handled by Mr. Chaves (2011).
- Successfully represented commercial general contractor in multi-party construction defect litigation initiated by condominium association with matter settled at commencement of trial (2016).
Publications and Presentations
- Associated General Contractors: “Contract Clauses of Interest to Contractors in Vertical and Condominium Projects,” October 2014
- “AIA Contracts,” Presenter, August 21, 2014 (Lorman)
- Sixth Annual Construction Law Institute 2013 (The Florida Bar): “Design Liability for the Construction Certification Review Course,” March 2013
- “Construction Lien Law in Florida—Liens , Bonds and How to Get Paid: Representing the General Contractor,” Presenter, October 18, 2011 (Lorman)
- Fourth Annual Construction Law Institute 2011 (The Florida Bar): “Workshop F: Advanced Lien Law”(with Bruce G. Alexander), April 2011
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar, 2005
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2008-2009, 2012-2018 (Construction Litigation, 2015)
- “Top Lawyer” (Construction) in South Florida Legal Guide, multiple years, including 2015
- Florida, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, 1999
- United States Supreme Court, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2016
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law, Gainesville, FL, 1997
- B.A., University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1994